Oh, my goodness, what a difference having that new chainsaw made! But before I could break it in, I needed to drag down the stuck tree, so I could use the wood in the high raised bed. Thanks to my husband very securely attaching the hooks I got to the rope I got - rope … Continue reading High raised bed – it’s done!
I did a fair bit of running around this morning, and was even able to get a quick visit in with my mother. We are hopefully now well stocked with cat kibble for the rest of the month. It's also coming up on Thanksgiving here in Canada, which means cheap turkey season, so I got … Continue reading Our 2022 garden: high raised bed build, day 2
You can read about the first raised bed I did, here and here. Things were done a bit different this time, so here is another step-by-step post with lots of photos! 🙂 I actually started this bed over a week ago. This is how it looked then. This bed has been almost completely untouched since … Continue reading Second low raised bed: done!
Today, I was able to get back to working on our first low raised bed. The first thing I had to do was scrounge through a shed and the barn, looking for something I could use to support the long sides and prevent them from bowing outwards once the bed is full of soil. I … Continue reading First low raised bed, part two: done!
Sadly, we didn't get any more rain today, but it has been very windy. Enough that we lowered the canopy tent as far as it can go, so reduce the chances of wind damage. It still has our camp chairs and makeshift table that we were using to cure onions on a screen, under it, … Continue reading Our 2022 garden: second box done
With the garlic all harvested, we've got two empty beds that need to be readied for next year's garden. With these beds, we had dug into the soft soil we found under the wood pile, mounding soil into beds and making paths in between. This worked out quite well, but there were a couple of … Continue reading Our 2022 garden: first raised bed box
When we planted for a fall harvest, we did as much as we could to make row covers to protect our seedlings. We had enough materials for only two chicken wire covers, then made do with other materials for the third bed. We rigged what we could to protect the last bed, but the grasshoppers … Continue reading Row cover adaption
I had cleaned up the dead spruce tree I'd cut down, a few days go, but only now got to continue working in the area. Because of how the tree had landed, I used the baby chainsaw to clear away all the non-weight bearing branches first, and was left with this giant insectoid shape! 😀 … Continue reading First tree stump bench made!
One of my goals for today was to modify one of the wire mesh covers for the main garden beds. I will be planting in this bed soon, and have set up the soaker hose in it for now. I had one board left of what we used to make the long sides, and used … Continue reading Our 2021 garden: today’s project, and new growth
Today was set to be a scorcher, so when I did my morning rounds, I took the time to water all the garden beds before things got too hot, even though they got a thorough watering last night. When I got to the spinach beds, I saw evidence of skulduggery! The sacrificial spinach, at the … Continue reading Our 2021 garden: squash tunnel, day 4, and sacrificial spinach!