Photo of the Day: glare!

My goodness!

Doesn’t she have the most wicked expression?? 😀 Hard to believe she’s actually a very sweet, loving kitty.

Also, she looks SO much like her mother!!

This photo was taken earlier in the month. Susan is now indoors, after having a certain surgical procedure. No kittens from this girl!

She’s had more than enough time to recover, but we are not sending her back outside yet. The shaved area looks like it’s not growing back at all! When Cheddar was shaved to have the stick that impaled him removed, the fur grew back very quickly. I was expecting the same, with Susan, and it’s just not happening! Which I don’t mind too much. It makes it easier to keep an eye on the incision.

Yes, we're still unpacking

Over the last few days, I haven’t been posting much. I’ve really been appreciating having very quiet, boring days! 😀 It’s great for rejuvenation. Not great for interesting things to post about! 😉

I took advantage of the quiet time to do some more unpacking.

Yes, I know it’s been 2 years since we’ve moved.

Okay, so technically, we finished unpacking long ago. It’s more that some things just haven’t found homes, yet, and are just sort of scattered about or stored in bins.

The area I’ve been working on the most has been shifted about a few times, since we moved.

The “master bedroom”.

Continue reading

Mead Baby 2.0: third ferment

Time for an update on our mead making!

The last time I posted about it, we had added a few raisins to the mead to boost fermentation.

Yesterday, my daughter was a sweetheart and racked it to another 1 gallon carboy.

It is now back in its little corner, all swaddled like a baby.

The mead was very clear before it got racked, but between the raisins floating on top and the sediment on the bottom, a fair bit was lost in the process. The jug wasn’t full anymore, already, and now it’s about 2/3rds full.

We’re still going to keep it in the 16C – 20C range, though I’ve read that cooler temperatures are just find by this point. We really could have bottled it, but we will leave it to ferment with an air lock for a while longer.

Now that it’s separated from the sediment, it should not develop any off tastes. At least according to what I’ve been reading. Any fermentation that continues at this point will be very slow.

I figure a couple more weeks, maybe a month, we’ll bottle it and do another test with the hydrometer to check the alcohol level. Given how much was lost to racking away from the sediment, I’m hoping we get 2 full bottles, plus a some left over to test and taste. 🙂

The Re-Farmer