Over the last few days, I haven’t been posting much. I’ve really been appreciating having very quiet, boring days! 😀 It’s great for rejuvenation. Not great for interesting things to post about! 😉
I took advantage of the quiet time to do some more unpacking.
Yes, I know it’s been 2 years since we’ve moved.
Okay, so technically, we finished unpacking long ago. It’s more that some things just haven’t found homes, yet, and are just sort of scattered about or stored in bins.
The area I’ve been working on the most has been shifted about a few times, since we moved.
The “master bedroom”.
This room is in the original log portion of the house. It takes up about half of the original ground floor. With my husband eventually needing a hospital bed, we tried a few things before finally setting him up in the other ground floor bedroom in what used to be the living/dining room, before the new part was added, and a second bedroom and indoor bathroom could be installed in the old part.
That little room had been my office/craft room. So when it became my husband’s bedroom, the “master bedroom” became my bedroom/office/craft room all in one.
It also became the place that accumulated the things we didn’t know what to do with, yet. 😀
One of the things I finally did was go through a couple of storage bins meant to fit under a bed, but were instead taking up floor space. One of them got repacked and will continue to store things out of the way until we need them, while I was able to empty the other one.
Among the things in the bin I unpacked where some items my husband’s parents gave us as gifts from while they were living in Africa.
There is a long, decorative sword, with a carved and tooled hilt and scabbard made of camel, a matching dagger (the back of it is seen in the photo, rather than the more decorative front) and a spear that can be separated into two pieces for easier packing.
You can’t see the spear very well, because our mama cat decided to use the blade of the spear as a bed.
These were basically made for tourists, using cheap, very soft, steel. They are rusting horribly, especially the spear, so we’ll have to figure out how to safely clean them and prevent further rusting. I’d already done this before, years ago, but we’ve never had anyplace to display them, so they’ve been sitting in storage, rusting again. I’ve read that soaking in vinegar for several hours is a nice, safe, way to clean rust off, but these aren’t exactly things that can be immersed!
I found a home made gun rack in the basement that was being used to hold pieces of scrap molding, so that’s been brought up and cleaned of years of dust and cob webs. We have decided on where to hang it, but I still have to figure out how. It was rigged up with screws and strips of aluminum so it could be attached to the wood above the concrete block walls of the basement. Those aluminum strips did not survive removal.
Since I still need to clean the items meant to go on it, there’s no real hurry.
Another thing we were able to do is clean out and refill a storm glass barometer (like this one) that used to hang in the hallway. I found all sorts of different instructions, some more finicky than others, on how to refill these. In the end, I just used a plastic syringe. We now have it in the entry way, so we can easily see it before heading out any where.
Then there was an unplanned change.
My husband getting the hospital bed meant moving out the king size mattress and my using what was supposed to be a spare, twin sized, bed. When we were packing to move out here, we discovered that the two twin sized box springs that supported the king size mattress were both broken, so we never brought them out. The plan was to get a platform base, preferably with storage under it, after we moved. Obviously, since we weren’t using it, that hasn’t happened, and when my husband’s hospital bed got moved to another room, I just kept using the twin bed.
Finding someplace to store a king size mattress was a problem.
We ended up putting it behind the couch, against the room dividing shelf between the living and dining rooms.
There turned out to be a problem with that.
That they would climb up there was to be expected. If that’s all they did, it would have been fine.
Unfortunately, they started using part of it as a scratching post.
When that part got blocked off, the found another part to use as a scratching post.
Nothing we could put there to cover or hide it would stay. They kept managing to tear off the protection, then started scratching again. Usually when no one was around to see them and stop them.
They were slowly destroying a rather expensive, high quality mattress.
I finally got tired of it.
I’m now using the king size mattress again.
I still don’t have a base, so getting in and out is fairly difficult, with my knees as bad as they are, but it’s worth it. I’d forgotten what it was like to sleep on such a comfortable mattress!
The cats agree. As I write this, 4 of them are scattered a over it, sleeping!
Unfortunately, this means I’ll have to figure out how to re-arrange the rest of the room so I can actually work at my craft table. Plus, we need to figure out where to store the parts and pieces of the spare bed. The plywood frame will probably just go into the basement, but until we get a proper cover for the mattress, it’ll have to stay upstairs.
It’s now behind the couch, where the king size used to be.
Funny. Now that there’s only a mattress barely tall enough to reach the top of the couch’s back, the cats don’t have much interest in tearing around there.
It looks like I inadvertently solved 2 problems at once. 😀