We had some much more pleasant temperatures today, so I headed out to do some work in the maple grove this evening.
After the tree care guy came to give us an estimate, I decided to focus first on clearing the old garden path. Whether we hire these guys, or the company coming to give a quote on Monday, they will need to bring equipment in to access the trees they will be cutting clear from the power lines. Good enough reason to start at the old garden path.
This is what it looked like before.
The deadwood on the ground here is partially cut, and it made up of several trees. Elm and maple, from the looks of it.
This photo was taken back in May, and you can see where the path is supposed to be in the background.
I also worked my way along the north row of trees, bordering the garden, and heading towards the garden shed. I started off by using the weed trimmer to take town the tall grass and weeds, so that I could at lease see the branches and trunks.
Then I started dragging stuff out. This photo is of JUST the deadwood I pulled out of the grass.
Almost all of this is just from that blocked garden path! Even after this, I kept finding more, as I walked back and forth and I would step on something. I’d then go to pick up what I expected to be a small branch, often finding myself pulling out something 6-7 feet long, and completely buried in grass and leaves!
After I cleaned out the stuff already on the ground, I started taking out the dead spruces on either side of the path, and cut back the other trees that I had pulled the deadwood out of. They were mostly dead, already. I also took out another small dead spruce tree that was near the big dead one that will be coming down when we get the lines cleared. I almost left a young elm to grow, until I clued in to how close it was to the big dead spruce. I looked up and, sure enough, the elm was directly below the power lines.
So that had to go.
Along with the dead stuff, I also cleaned up some suckers at the bases of other trees, or growing out of stumps. Some of those suckers had been growing long enough to almost be trees all on their own. For the trees I took down, I left fairly tall stumps to make it easier to see them until I can cut them at ground level. A fair bit is being left until my birthday present arrives. 😀
I finished off with the weed trimmer again.
Here are the after pictures.
A couple of the stumps near the centre of the picture were already there, hidden by the suckers growing out of them. The old garden path is now open!
The big dead spruce tree that will come down is the one with the big rock next to it. There is also a young maple kind of by itself there right now, and I will be cutting that down when my birthday present gets here. It’s directly under the power lines, too, and already grown tall enough to almost touch them!
This photo was taken from near the big dead spruce tree. The main garden area is completely overgrown, but it was so roughly plowed, mowing is not an option. It’s not a priority right now.
There are three spruces next to each other, just right of centre in the photo. I am hoping the one in the middle can be salvaged. The other two are too far gone.
On the garden side, starting from about where those spruces are (I think they are Colorado blues), is the old row a raspberries. It’s completely choked out with crab grass and weeds, and overshadowed by mostly dead trees, with a very few canes trying to grow. Another area that is not a priority right now. When the time comes, we plan to have a raspberry patch with three different varieties, including one with gold coloured berries, that mature at different times. That way, we will be harvesting berries from July through September. 🙂
All in good time.
I plan to work my way down these two rows of trees, next. Where the big rock is, is the garden tap. It’s got a couple of dead trees by it, as well as a live one. They will all come down to clear the tap, and the buried pipe that leads to the house. I’m hoping the roots haven’t caused any problems. I have yet to hook it up at the house end to test it out, since it’s barely accessible right now.
There are two old tillers that have been sitting there for years, one covered with a piece of tin, the other with an old rug. They should still be salvageable, so I am hoping to be able to move them into a shed or maybe the barn, to get them out of the weather.
Once this area is done, I will turn my attention to the West side of the maple grove. Lots of deadfall in there, too.
The really big job is going to be dealing with the trees to the North of the grove, that has been so densely planted with trees.
While doing this outside, I also will be working on packing up the old kitchen, so we can get that cleaned out and looking good again. I want to get that done within the next week. I’d like to be able to open the door and not worry about the cats getting int. 🙂
Lots to do! 🙂