Today, I found the self adhesive felted pads that I wanted to use on the covers for the fish tank. I found them while looking for something else, of course. 😀 Here is where, on the tank, I want them to sit. The bar across the middle has extra surface area in the corners of … Continue reading Converting the fish tank to a cat proof greenhouse, part 4: padded
A while back, we tried a recipe for overnight bread, which you can read about here, and find a link to the original recipe we used. I then tried an "over day" version, using the dough baby from my Babcia's bread experiment. It was fantastically successful! We've made it again, as a pretty basic no-knead … Continue reading Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 10: No Knead bread
Yesterday, I got started on making covers for our big fish tank, to keep the cats out. Today, I assembled the first one. Of course, things did not go to plan. Does anything ever? 😀 One of the things I needed to figure out was how to secure the hardware cloth to the frame pieces, … Continue reading Converting the fish tank to a cat proof greenhouse, part 2: changed plans
I have spent some time thinking about how we can convert our big fish tank into a greenhouse to start seeds in, while also making sure the cats couldn't jump in. The original covers the tank came with would have been ideal, but the hinges on those broke long ago. Since a piece of the … Continue reading Converting the fish tank to a cat proof greenhouse, part 1: starting a cover
Yesterday, I made another batch of bread using the old dough stored in flour as a starter. I did change things up a little bit, though. One of the things about trying to recreate how my grandmother did this is, I'm relying on my mother's childhood memories. There would definitely be things my mother never … Continue reading Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 9: a few changes
I was feeling lazy today, and wanted to make something quick and easy for supper, to go with the meatloaf I had in the oven. I decided to make kluski. Well. I suppose the proper name for them is kluski kladzione, since kluski is a generic Polish word for all kinds of dumpling type things. … Continue reading Making kluski; Polish drop noodles
For the next while, as I remove part of the dough from one batch to use in the next batch, I will be taking out slightly larger pieces of dough, to make larger batches of bread with it, next time. Our flour canister is tall and narrow, so I've made a point of flattening the … Continue reading Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 8: ham and cheese roll!
For those of you who have been following this blog for a while, you may be wondering what happened with our cider vinegar. Yeah. The stuff we were supposed to taste test 2 months ago, to see if it was done! It's been sitting in the old kitchen all this time. Given how cold it … Continue reading Crab Apple Cider Vinegar: bottling day
After yesterday morning's cat disaster, the girls were kind enough to drop their own projects and take over cleaning up. While I was doing my rounds outside, the furry little monsters created another mess. One of the jade plant posts I'd managed to shield from their digging got knocked to the floor. *sigh* I was … Continue reading Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 7: having fun
Photo heavy post ahead! 😀 Today, we got to use our pasta machine for the first time, while making pasta for the first time. 🙂 Granted, I have made pasta-like noodles before, before, but nothing quite like this. Of course, I did some research first. I wanted something really basic for a recipe. This turned … Continue reading First time making pasta!