Lovely snow

So the snow that was originally supposed to start this evening and continue on through tomorrow, arrived last night. The snow was pretty much stopped when I went out to feed the critters. I had to dig out the non-heated water bowls. Then I had to shovel the path to the feeding station so I … Continue reading Lovely snow

A lovely day, and getting ready

When we decided to go ahead and cancel our old satellite service outright, instead of waiting until the end of the month, after finding how excellently the Starlink system was working, I was working on the assumption that we'd have all sorts of cancellation fees. So, just in case, I budgeted more than what we … Continue reading A lovely day, and getting ready

Enjoying a “warm” day

As I write this we are at an almost balmy -26C/-15F with a wind chill of -34C/-29F, and we're supposed to continue to get warmer over the next couple of days. Remarkable how our ideas of "warm" and "cold" change, when living somewhere that has such temperature extremes throughout the year! Yesterday evening, I'd treated … Continue reading Enjoying a “warm” day

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

I'm feeling very fortunate right now! For ourselves and for the critters. When I checked the weather first thing this morning, my app's weather radar was showing us well under an area of snowfall, and yet when I looked out my window, there was none coming down! We did have some during the night, and … Continue reading Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

So you want to grow a “survival garden”

For at least a decade, there has been an increase in people who have decided to move out of the cities, get themselves an acreage, and live as self-sufficiently as possible. Which is basically, how I grew up. Things have really changed, though, and modern homesteaders have a lot more resources, options and choices than … Continue reading So you want to grow a “survival garden”