Making hard crab apple cider: bottling day one

For those who have been following this blog for a while, that's right. We still haven't bottled our hard cider yet! And yes, it's been almost a year! For those who are new to the blog, you can catch up on the progress with these links; all will open in new tabs, so you won't … Continue reading Making hard crab apple cider: bottling day one

Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 10: No Knead bread

A while back, we tried a recipe for overnight bread, which you can read about here, and find a link to the original recipe we used. I then tried an "over day" version, using the dough baby from my Babcia's bread experiment. It was fantastically successful! We've made it again, as a pretty basic no-knead … Continue reading Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 10: No Knead bread

Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 9: a few changes

Yesterday, I made another batch of bread using the old dough stored in flour as a starter. I did change things up a little bit, though. One of the things about trying to recreate how my grandmother did this is, I'm relying on my mother's childhood memories. There would definitely be things my mother never … Continue reading Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 9: a few changes

Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 7: having fun

After yesterday morning's cat disaster, the girls were kind enough to drop their own projects and take over cleaning up. While I was doing my rounds outside, the furry little monsters created another mess. One of the jade plant posts I'd managed to shield from their digging got knocked to the floor. *sigh* I was … Continue reading Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 7: having fun

Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 6: restarting

Okay, so after accidentally killing off our ball of old dough "yeast", I had to start over. Since I have no idea how my grandmother got her first ball of old dough, this is all a guessing game, anyhow! This time, I went with another old technique: the sponge. It's just 2 cups warm water, … Continue reading Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 6: restarting

Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 3c: all done, and where I screwed up

Our first batch of bread using old dough, in the manner my Babcia used to do, is now done. I did mess up a bit, which I will talk about below. Here is how the dough looked after the first rise. I had left it for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, give or take. … Continue reading Babcia’s Bread Experiment, part 3c: all done, and where I screwed up