Okay, I am beyond excited right now!
The new stove is in, and it’s absolutely fabulous!!
Yes, it did also take a couple of hours to get it done, but not for why you might think.
First off, moving the counter turned out to be a lot easier than I feared. Once I moved the dining table as far into the corner as I could, I had enough space that I would not have to move any other shelves.
Once the drawers, which held most of the weight (especially the cutlery drawer!) were removed, I also found I didn’t need to empty the cupboards, either. Once I got the counter unstuck from where it has been sitting for so many years, there were no issues.
I admit, it was a lot less disgusting back there than I feared.
Also, yes. That’s a piece of toast on the floor.
Oh, dear God. I just realized.
There’s another piece of toast stuck to the back of the counter.
I have just returned from pulling the counter away from the wall and cleaning it out.
Those would predate our moving here. In fact, they probably go back to before my dad had to move to the nursing home. Which means they’ve been there for probably more than 5 years.
And yeah… it’s still actually less disgusting than I feared.
There were a couple of things I expected to find, since I was there when they fell behind the counter. I did not expect to find a new jelly bag.
I was wondering what happened to the second one from the package…
Then there was this.
This would go back to before my mom moved to the senior’s apartment she lives in now, so it’s probably been there for more than 6 years.
The counter itself turned out to be remarkably easy to move. It didn’t even catch on anything in the process.
Then it was time to shut off the breaker and move the old stove.
What the flash in the photo picks up, that I couldn’t see when I went to move the power cord, is that grease had dripped behind the stove, onto the cord.
That was really gross to handle. I couldn’t even put on the disposable gloves we would normally use. It’s so hot and sticky, I wouldn’t be able to pull them on. So I used paper towel to handle things.
Things were so sticky back there, it took more effort than it should have, to unplug the old stove.
Once the stove was clear, I peeled off the self-adhesive shelf liner that was used as a backsplash.
Then I was done. It may not have been a lot of actual physical labor to most things around – I easily did it by myself – but by this point, I was absolutely dripping with sweat.
The girls then took over and did the hard part.
Those two are absolute saints.
That floor is just … wow. The difference between the part worn out from decades of feet, and the part under the counter, could not be more dramatic!
Clean up done, the girls got to use the time needed for everything to dry, to cool down and stop sweating. Then they put up the self-adhesive backsplash.
Then we finally unpacked the new stove from it’s box. After measuring the other counter, we found we did not need to adjust the legs – at least not before we put it in place. The daughter that was trapped in the kitchen used a level on the floor, and it definitely sloped downwards, away from the wall.
The height of the stove, without adjusting the legs, was exactly the same as the height of the counter, but a sloping floor would have to be accounted for. First, we had to plug it in and get it in place.
Here, you can see how the 4 pieces of self-adhesive tiles were placed for the backsplash. We will get a couple more and fill in the gaps, later.
Then one of my daughters was an angel and sprawled on the floor while her sister and I tipped the stove flat against the wall.
Which made it perfectly level!
I guess it’s good to know our walls are straight, if not our floors… 😀
That made it a lot easier for my daughter to adjust the leveling legs.
No more food sloshing to one side of the pot or pan when we cook, now!
Once everything was in place, back went the counter.
The new stove is the same width as the old one, but deeper, so it sticks out further than the other one did.
It also has a much larger oven, so we’re very good with this!
It’s going to take some getting used to having the controls in front.
Once the breaker was turned back on, the girls figured out how to set the time, using the 24 hour clock setting. Then they tested out the cooktop.
We are just entranced. I don’t think we’ve ever had anything so nice and new before. It heats up so quickly, it’s mind blowing! The larger front cook surfaces have two sides to their controllers. Use one side, it heats the full circle. Us the other, and it heats a smaller circle.
It also has no element in the oven, and the self-cleaning function is a safer, less power consuming, technological upgrade. We’ve had self cleaning ovens before, and never used them. This one, I actually will!
Best of all – no more sparks!
I am so glad this is finally done, and so thrilled with the stove itself.
Next thing on the list: replacing the taps and faucet in the kitchen sink. 🙂
I’m really, really hoping someone installed shut off valves under the sink at some point. I’d really prefer not to have to shut off water to the entire house, just to work on the kitchen sink! 😀 Not that I’ll have anything to do with replacing that. A much more able-bodied daughter is going to have to crawl under the sink. 😀 I actually went back to pictures I took from the last time we had to go under there, when the drain on one of the sinks broke apart. None of them show enough that I can actually say for sure, and we can’t remember. We don’t really use the cupboards under the counter the sink is in. Only one drawer and one cupboard at the end is actually positioned in a usable space.
Well, we’ll find out soon enough.
Until then, we’re just going to try not to melt away.