I finished testing samples of the new garden soil this afternoon.
I was interrupted by scrabbling sounds behind me.
Saffron looks so adorable!
She is also a vicious beast. 😉 Her favourite thing it to suddenly launch herself across the room, onto whichever human is passing by. She typically lands about half way up, and then starts sliding down.
Which can be very painful! She is very sharp, and rather clumsy. 😀
Here are the test results from the purchased garden soil.
The nutrients are nice and high, all round – and so is the pH! Most of what we are growing recommends a pH of 6 – 6.5, so we’ll want to look into increasing the acidity a little, if we can.
Today, I decided to “pot up” the tomatoes. It feels strange to do that, since they are so tiny, but they are also tiny varieties of tomatoes! 😉
We planted 4 double cups of each variety, but I worked with only three each. Of the Spoon tomatoes, there’s one cup where nothing at all has germinated. Of the Mosaic Medley, one cup as a single seedling in it, and it’s quite small, so I left it.
I’ve never grown tomatoes before, so I looked at a lot of gardening resources before deciding to plant them in a small amount of growing medium in the larger cups, rather than Jiffy Pellets or tiny pots, so as to add more soil as they grew bigger, rather than transplanting them from small to larger pots.
After the soil was added, they got a careful, but large watering. I left them to drain for a while, emptied the lower cups and left them to drain some more. I wanted to ensure the added soil was completely dampened, through and through. I’m hoping this will give them a nice growth spurt. 🙂
The overnight temperatures in the sun room are getting much nicer, so we will be able to move things out of the aquarium soon. Over the next while, we will be starting all the summer and winter squash. We’re going to need the space! 😀
Something else on the to-do list:
Having worked out where we will be planting things (which is always subject to change until the seeds are in the ground!) and, more or less, what dimensions we’ll need, my daughters and I need to start measuring out, marking out and preparing garden beds. Some things, like our two varieties of peas, need to be direct sown well before the last frost date. They are going to be near the corn, which isn’t supposed to be planted until well after the last frost date. So we’ll need to mark out the plots and start prepping them. We’ve decided to make most beds at 3′ x 8′ (roughly 1m x 2 1/2m) for ease of access and denser planting. Ultimately, we have no idea how many of these we will need, until we actually start planting. Some varieties had packets with a LOT more seeds than others of the same vegetable type, and some were packed by weight, so we won’t know how many seeds there are until we open them.
We’re finally getting close to when we can plant things outside! Yay!!!
4 thoughts on “Our 2021 garden: Soil test on purchased soil and tending tomatoes”
Being able to go outside, especially without bundling up….priceless! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Well… at least bundling up *less*. LOL No more snow boots, but I still have to wear my parka in the mornings. 😀
And yes. It is absolutely priceless!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: Soil tests three and four | The Re-Farmer
Pingback: An awesome Mother’s Day, pancake cat, soil comparisons and pretty things. :-) | The Re-Farmer