Chill

20190126.ice

Brrr.

As I write this, we are at -29C, with a wind chill of -39C. Nasty!

Last night, we made sure to top of the outside cats’ water bowls with warm water before heading to bed. This picture is how I found the sun room water bowl, this morning. The cats were able to keep that opening in the ice licked open, to get at the liquid water below. I could even see some layers of ice, as the water level dropped and froze, dropped and froze. By the time I got this photo, though, there was no liquid water left. The bottom of the pan was dry, and there was no ice touching any part of the metal that would have been warm enough to melt it.

They were very happy for more warm water this morning!

While doing my rounds this morning, I had an extra task on my list.

Measuring.

While we have been content to wait until spring to fix the gate, just using the chain in place of the gate, my older brother is not so patient. šŸ˜‰ We’ve been talking about getting it fixed, but first I double checked with the police. I was able to get an update on the status of our file – charges are still pending (it’s not unusual for it to take a while) – and since the police have video of the vandalism, plus daylight photos of the damage, there is no reason from their end to wait to fix it.

Meanwhile, I’ve sent away to a couple of companies asking for estimates to get it fixed; we might not actually hire someone to do it, but this way, they might catch other damage that I missed, plus it might be useful information to present at court, if it comes to that. Hopefully, all we’ll need to do is replace the J pins. When my late brother built this gate, he made it so that it could be taken apart and adjusted as needed. Excellent forethought, that takes into account how things can shift over the years. Even with the gate posts embedded in concrete, they have still needed to be adjusted a few times since it was built, more than 10 years ago. What that should mean is that this will be an easy fix.

So this morning, I got photos for my brother, not of the hinge pins (I already got photos of those to document the damage), but of the lengths of pipe welded to the gate, that the hinge pins fit into. I got pictures with a measuring tape at different angles, so he can figure out what size and type of hinge pin will work. I’m pretty sure the J pins there now were actually made by my late brother. He certainly had the tools and skills to do it.

So we’ll see how that pans out. I don’t expect to hear back from the companies I contacted through their websites (this way, I could include a link to where I have photos uploaded) until some time next week.

Little by little, it’ll get done. With the temperatures we’re having right now, we’re in no hurry, and I certainly am not keen on making someone else work with frozen metal in this cold, either!

The Re-Farmer

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s