One of the things we planted this spring was a couple of rows of kohl rabi (or is it kohlrabi? I have seen it both ways…).
They have not done well.
Of all that we planted, there were about 4 surviving plants that sprouted.
Of those, a couple got et by deer.
The last two, however, were getting quite big and leafy and looking to have some potential, though there was as yet no sign of a bulb forming.
Then, something got at them.
At first, it looked like the caterpillars from cabbage moths. I found a whole bunch on the underside of the leaves, wreaking havoc, and got rid of them.
Soon after, however, the leaves were looking even worse.
I took this picture yesterday. These are the culprits.
The leaves are absolutely infested with these teeny, tiny black beetles.
I hosed them off after taking the picture, but when I checked them today, they were back, and there’s hardly anything left of the leaves, but the veins and stems.
So… kohl rabi is a bust for our garden!
Darn. I was looking forward to having our own. It’s one of those “treat” vegetables that we buy only once in a while.
At least whatever those beetles are, they are completely uninterested in anything else we’re growing.