I finally have more progress on our saga with the movers.
A few days ago, I spent some time talking with a lawyer about our options. One of the things he mentioned was that, usually one would start an insurance claim, then let the insurance companies duke it out. The lawyer can send a letter to the moving company for me about it, if the moving company continues to give me grief about it. How the company responds to that would determine our next move.
Hopefully, we will never have to find out.
Making a claim on my mother’s property insurance was not really preferable. The deductible is a thousand dollars, so if the cost of replacing the pole is close to that, it’s almost not worth it. However, my brother thought to contact our provincial vehicle insurance company, since the damage was done by a vehicle. They said that yes, they do cover that sort of thing, so I called and started a claim. I spent some time talking to someone on the phone, then got an email address to send photos to.
As I prepared to send the email, I got an email from the moving company. This after 10 days of nothing from them at all.
It was pretty short. Basically, they wanted to know if I’d gotten an estimate on how much it would cost; if it was under $1000, they would cut me a check for it. If it was over $1000 (the amount of their deductible), they would give me the information for their insurance company, and I would file a claim there. (I’m paraphrasing a fair bit, since English is clearly not the first language of the person writing to me.)
Which really, the movers should be doing, not me. Except I think I’d rather deal with the insurance company than with the movers.
No word on the money they said they would pay for our damaged goods a while back, which is a separate issue from property damage.
So I included their email with my email to the vehicle insurance company. I was told it could take 2 or 3 days before I got a response, but I got one the next day. Turns out that, because no vehicles registered in this province was involved, it’s out of their jurisdiction. We would have to deal with the driver’s vehicle insurance company. And I have no way of knowing who that is, since in the province we moved from, it’s private insurance companies, not one provincial insurance company.
So after I got that response, I got a phone number of a local electrician. Someone I went to high school with, actually. He’s a year or two younger than me, but we took the same bus to school for many years. He has done work here on the farm for my brother before, and was highly recommended. Since he works in the city, I was given his home phone number, and I left a message for him there. Much to my surprise, not only did I get a call soon after (my timing was good, I guess; he came home from work shortly after my call), but he said he could come over right away!
He spent a fair bit of time checking things out, including making sure there was no damage to the cable itself. I will get an estimate from him emailed to me, and I’m pretty sure it’ll be over $1000, so it looks like I’ll be dealing with the insurance company.
One of the things he mentioned was that he likely wouldn’t be able to install a new pole until spring. The electric company has access to the machinery that can drill into frozen ground, but he doesn’t. It’s unlikely the electric company would be willing to come out for a customer owned pole to begin with – and we’d have to prune those trees for them to get into the yard!
Pruning is something that’s going to have to be a bit of a priority, it looks like! I’d like to get that done while the trees are still dormant, so February would be good. By March, it might be too late. Hard to know. We might have a late spring. Or an early one.
Anyhow, that’s where we are at now. I will wait on the estimate, then go from there – and will ask about the coverage for damage to our goods in the process. I’ll update my lawyer about how things are going, too.
What a long and convoluted process this is!
All because no one bothered to look up.