Not a lot was done in the yard today. We made a much needed dump run with garbage and recycling – including a lot of garbage from cleaning the sun room out, then my younger daughter and I went into town to run some errands (plus play some Pokemon Go for community day, while we were there 😉 ). It was almost evening when we got back, but I still wanted to get at least a bit more clean up done today.
As I headed over to the Eastern end of of the bushes and trees I’ve been clearing out, I found something very disorienting.
In the false spirea I was planning to clean out was a large branch.
Funny, I think to myself. I thought I’d cleared away the crab apple branches I’d cut. Did I miss one?
Except this branch wasn’t a dead branch. It was mostly green. I didn’t remember cutting a green branch in that area and leaving it there. Also, it wasn’t apple.
Then I started to pull it out and saw the end of it.
At which point, I stopped to take pictures.
Here is the branch I found.
It’s a maple. Aside from a couple of small dead side branches, it is in full leaf.
That’s burnt wood right there.
What the heck?
I started looking around to see where it came from. Then I called my daughters out to look, too, just to make sure I wasn’t jumping to conclusions.
This is where we think it came from.
The arrow at the top is pointing to the end of a branch that we think it came from.
The double ended arrow is between the two power lines.
If my guess is correct, some time during the night, the branch hit the live power line, got burned, then broke and fell down.
Now, I can’t say for sure that this is where it came from, but it must at least be close to the source. There just aren’t any other maples close enough.
I am not feeling confident about this.
I had asked for the electric company to come out and check the line a second time when, after the first time they came out, the woman who followed up with me could not see anything that said they’d checked more than our own power line to the house. The second call, I basically was told the same thing as the first time; whenever we hire someone to clear the lines, let them know and they’ll cut the power for us. I don’t know when anyone came to check the lines a second time; this was after we had to put locks on our gates, and we did not get a call from anyone to let them in. However, someone could have stopped on the main road and simply ducked through the barbed wire fencing. The locks just keep vehicles out. People can get through easily.
I’ll be asking some advice from family who works with the electric company before I call them again. There’s no point in calling again, if they expect us to clear their lines.
After clearing the burned branch away, I cut back the spirea completely. Here is the before picture from a few days ago.
All I did was cut away the spirea, plus break off a few dead lilac branches that were overhanging them, so I wouldn’t stab myself in the face or something.
Here is how it looks now.
To the right of the lilacs was the beginning of a path to the big garden. It is now almost clear and open again. At least at this end. The other end has dead spruces partially blocking it.
Here is another look at the lilacs.
You can see where I broke off the branches that were overhanging the spirea. Most of the lilacs appear dead. These lilacs used to be so thick with greenery and flowers, you couldn’t see stems and branches.
It should be interesting to see how they recover, once all this is cleared up and they are getting sun and space again. It might take a few years, but lilacs are so resilient, I am sure they will grow back well.
There is still lots of work to do, but it doesn’t take much for it to look so much better.