It’s federal election day here in Canada, and I’m happy to say that there was a local polling station (according to the elections Canada website – and the agent I spoke to on the phone while trying to find where the nearest polling station would be – our little hamlet doesn’t exist) and I was able to register and vote without any problems. What a difference from the last federal election, when we were still living in the city! It helped that the registration officer happened to be a “neighbour” that I finally got to meet. Since she lives on the same road we do, a mile away, she had no issues with the fact that there are different names for our road. I’ve got the road name on my driver’s license, which no longer matches the signage. She’s had the same issue we have, since the stop sign with the road name got knocked down, and the sign with the name of our road disappearing. It has not been replaced, so there is just the numerical designation on the other stop sign.
I got to vote, and later on I’ll be going back with my daughters, so they can register and vote, too. 🙂
Until then, I’ve got a bit of catching up to do, and will be splitting things up into several posts, rather than one big one. I was finally able to get the tree damage from the storm taken care of, as well as putting stuff away for the winter, the day before we had my mom over for a surprise second Thanksgiving dinner. With this post, I’ll start with the last things I cleaned up; the little things!
One of the things that came down with the weight of snow was an old caragana that I’d cleaned up around, last year. After I cut away the part that fell, I could see why it came down!
It was all rotted on one side. The rest of it seems to be unharmed, and should recover just fine.
My mother’s double lilac in the old kitchen garden lost it’s main part, too.
After taking away the branches that fell (the honeysuckle and rose bushes they fell on will be fine), I could see that the rest of this section needed to come down, too. There was just too much damage where the one branch tore away.
Just look at those colours!
I’ve kept the branches and set them aside for future use, instead of being added to the chipper or fire pit piles. I’m not sure what, yet, but I really want to find a way to showcase those colours.
I also did a bit of clean up by the crab apples trees. There is a crab apple tree with a main trunk that is dead; I’d cut away a lot of the branches from that, so I could reach the apples on what had grown around the dead part, but some of the branches were still too high to reach, even from the step ladder.
A few of those came down with the storm, and I found something interesting on them.
While I saw the lichen growing on the dead branches previously, this fungal growth was not there at the time. After learning that what we found on other trunks were the final stages of a fungal disease, I made a point of examining the other trees. This tree did not have this growth on it at the time, so this is very recent.
Cutting away the dead portion of this crab apple tree is one of my goals for next summer. Knowing it is infected with this fungus, I’m going to have to really be careful. From what I’ve been able to see, the living branches that have grown up from the base are healthy, but with the main trunk diseased, the infection could spread to them easily.
I’m going to have to keep a close eye on all of the apple trees next year, and be ruthless about cutting away any branches that show signs of infection.
I also cut away the broken branch from the chokecherry tree, but didn’t take a photo. There is quite a bit of a tear on the rest of that part of the tree, but I think it should survive okay.
So those were the little things that got cleaned up.
Then there was the big stuff – and more than I’d expected to do! More on that in my next post. 🙂