I’d posted a video I took after this job was done, previously. I am honestly surprised more of this tree did not come down in the storm. I hope it survives many more storms, because it’s such a beautiful old tree!
The first thing I had to do was assess the fallen branch more closely.
The branch was long enough to reach the double row of elms heading towards the garden gate.
As I started cutting away sections, I was able to see that the whole thing had been kept from hitting the ground by the skinny little top of the branch that landed on an elm!
Amazing, that that was all it took to keep such a big, heavy, branch from falling all the way to the ground!
After clearing away enough branches that I could reach the main part with the extended pruning saw, I just start pulling.
Eventually, the top came down, and I was able to start breaking it down from the end.
The main branch ended up being held up by another branch I’d already cut away part of. While I continued cutting away smaller sections, it looked like I would have issues with where it cracked at the trunk. How would I even reach it? I had expect this to be the easy part of the job, but it took a lot more work just to cut away pieces, so I could reach where I needed to go!
Plus, I had to get the weight off the branch that was still holding the whole thing up, so I grabbed a branch and started dragging it off to the side. It all twisted at the cracked trunk.
Little by little, I cut sections away until I reached the cracked trunk.
This part of the trunk was too high for me to reach, and I couldn’t see how I could cut it away. It would be too dangerous to use the step ladder and a buck saw.
However, it was really quite rotten, and it twisted quite a bit when I was manhandling it to get those sections cut away. What would happen if I pulled on the cut ends?
I found the whole thing easily twisted around, and pieces of the trunk started to fall off.
What I thought would be the hardest part of the job turned out to be the easiest part – it just pulled right down!
The pile at the base of the tree is all from that one branch that broke.
I’m leaving it there until spring, when I plan to take down the rest of the rotten trunk. I’d already added lots of other downed branches to the pile by the fire pit.
So that is done for now!
When I started working on this area, though, I spotted more storm damage that I’d missed, because I simply hadn’t slogged my way far enough through the snow.
That will be my next post. 🙂
3 thoughts on “Storm clean up: the old willow”
Ouch. It didn’t look too bad in the first few pics. That tree is pretty much toast though.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yup. The arborist took a look at it, and there is nothing that can be done for it. Being a willow, however, it might keep on going for many years, even in this condition!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: Growth | The Re-Farmer