Garden rain barrel, done!

This morning, I emptied the can of Plasit Dip on the cracks in the rain barrel.

Yesterday, I found a couple of hoola hoops at a dollar store in town, and this afternoon, I dug out the role of window screen mesh we found while cleaning out the basement. I hadn’t quite figured out how I was going to attach the mesh to the hoops, and decided to just sew it on. The only problem with that was holding the mesh in place, so I ended up applying the WeldBond glue I’ve got to the hoop, then laying the mesh I’d cut to size on top of it.

Made a real mess on my hands, pressing it into place, but thankfully, the glue washes off easily.

After it had set long enough, I then just sewed the mesh on with a needle and thread.

It’s a bit on the light side and I want to figure out how to add weight to it. With the screen directly on the top of the barrel, any weight on the hoop could potentially tear the screen. I’ll probably just put a board across the top.

Here are the areas I sprayed with the Plasti Dip, both inside and out. I even sprayed areas that I wasn’t sure was cracked, or just a deep scratch, just in case.

That big crack at the top? It’s actually sealed. I didn’t think it would work, but with enough layers, it filled the gap! Most of the seal on that one is on the inside layers.

After giving the inside of the barrel a quick rinse, it was time to fill it and test out the seal.

As of tonight, it is completely waterproof. When I do my rounds in the morning, I’ll see if it held up through the night.

I’ll also be able to water the garden using water that has had a chance to warm up, instead of ice cold well water. πŸ˜€

The second hoop is currently sitting in the basement with the mesh and some glue. Tomorrow, I’ll use needle and thread to attach the screen securely, then put it over the rain barrel by the sun room. It’ll be nice to use the water from there, and not have my watering can’s head get clogged up with leaves and other debris. πŸ™‚

It took a while to get the garden rain barrel to the point it could be filled, but I think it was worth it to keep adding more layers to the cracks, with lots of time in between to cure.

It may not be pretty, but it’ll do the job! And that’s all that matters. πŸ™‚

The Re-Farmer

4 thoughts on “Garden rain barrel, done!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s