Okay, so after yesterday’s rant, I am very, very happy to share some good news that came out of that call with the shelter.
Depending on how things go, many of these cats will have forever homes! How many… we’ll see. I counted a total of 18 this morning.
I did have an unpleasant surprise this morning, though.
Chadicous has blood all over his chest and front legs!
It looks fresh, but I didn’t hear any fighting. I also could not find an injury, nor did he seem to be favouring any part of his body. It could be he has a small puncture wound somewhere that just happened to bleed a lot, but isn’t bleeding now. Or it’s from another cat, but none of the cats appeared to be injured.
There was nothing different in his behaviour, as he did his usual flinging himself bodily to the ground in front of my feet, asking for pets.
We will be monitoring.
I was just finishing off my rounds when I spotted Agnoos in the bird bath-turned feeder.
Many he’s hoping a bird will just fly into his mouth? 😀
Now, the good news.
I got a call from the woman I was told about during the shelter call. She is connected with the larger organization that the vet had told us about. They have a donor program that allows them to get females fixed for only $75. !!!!! That includes shots, too. Plus, through this larger organization and their foster volunteers, they can adopt cats out. She told me of the number of cats she did last year (I am remembering 150, but I’m not confident that it’s right), all have been adopted out.
Best of all, we don’t have to pay right away. As long as we make payments and pay them off by the end of 2022, they’re good.
At only $75 per female, that will not be a problem.
After talking for a while, we worked out that Butterscotch will be done first. Plus Nosencrantz, if she can get access to the surgery for both of them.
Oh, that’s the other thing. She does the surgeries at the vet clinic we are already using! She’s got a deal with them to use their operating theatre when they aren’t using it themselves. Tomorrow, she will call me back with, hopefully, a date for Butterscotch, possibly as early as next week!!!
Once those two are done, we will shift focus to getting the inside cats done. Then, the outside cats that we can easily catch, and finally, focus on trapping the cats we can’t touch.
If they are up for adoption (on learning more about Butterscotch, she immediately recognized that she was not an adoptable cat. I really appreciated that she caught that), they may not even need to wait for the local surgery. We might be able to take them to the organization’s facility in the city, where they will get the necessary treatments, and get adopted out from there, instead of having another trip back here.
Once I’m done with this post, I will start sending her the information she needs about me, including an emergency contact number if they can’t reach me for some reason, and information about the cats, starting with Butterscotch and Nosencrantz.
My plans for the day have just changed dramatically.