So… we’re home again

We didn’t make it to the city.

Yes, things have warmed up. We’re a “balmy” -24C, with a wind chill of -36C right now. However, we haven’t warmed up long enough for the van to notice.

It started well enough. We even drove it the couple of miles to the general store to pick up the mail, deer feed and bird seed.

By then, I had to make a decision.

With the noises it was making, do we take the chance and continue on to the city? Or even just to the next town over to get a decent grocery shop in?

Ultimately, I decided not to risk the van. The noises it was making was just due to the cold. Belts and chains and other moving metal parts complaining. The thing is, whatever the temperatures are outside, it can take days for something sitting in the cold to slowly match those temperatures. The question became, how will those parts hold up to going from a deep freeze to driving for several hours?

I decided it wasn’t worth the risk. I was able to pick up a few grocery essentials, along with the animal feed, and that was as far as we were going to go, today. Not only did we come home, but my husband called to cancel/reschedule his appointment tomorrow.

Talking to my husband after we got back, and asking him to reschedule his medical appointment, he reminded me that we do have precedent to justify my being extra careful. Years ago, we had a sedan that was less than 10 years old, with pretty decent mileage (unlike our current vehicle that’s more than 15 yrs old and has over 400,000 km). During a cold spell, my husband had gone into the city and ended up driving all over the city during the night. He said the noises that thing was making were unlike anything he’d heard before – or since! Ultimately, he ended up with a crack in the power steering line.

Back then, even though we were living not far from where we are now, we were not anywhere near as reliant on the vehicle as we are now.

We’re supposed to keep warming up over the next few days, and even stay in the mid minus-teens for a while. Perhaps, by then, the van will be able to handle a drive to the city, but I’m beginning to doubt we’ll get our bit shop in the city done at all, for yet another month. I just hope to be able to go into town enough to pick up a decent amount of groceries, and some prescription refills.

At least we were able to get more deer and bird feed. We were completely out, so after unloading the van, my daughters took care of getting some out. When I started writing this post, there were already two deer at the feeding station, enjoying a snack! πŸ™‚

Well, this weather imposed hibernation has meant catching up on a few things.

I made this last night, while watching cheesy sci-fi movies from the 50’s. πŸ˜€

Meet my model; Dolph.


Yes, I crocheted a helmet. πŸ˜€

It’s just an experiment, at this point. I’m considering adding little horns to it. I will probably make a few more, to tweak the pattern a bit. Maybe try different kinds of yarn (can you imagine it in metallic grey! πŸ˜€ ) .

Also, the wonderful green eyed beastie next to Dolph was a gift from my daughters. He watches over me from the window sill. πŸ˜€

I guess it’s time to dig out some other projects, set up some more cheesy movies, drink my tea and get productive!

The Re-Farmer

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s