New Range Hood – part 1

Yesterday, my darling daughters began working on replacing our old, not working right, range hood.

It’s still not done.

Here is the progress so far – and I apologize in advance; some of these progress photos are really gross!

First up, here is the new range hood that my daughter bought.

Note the placement of the light, at the front of the hood.

This is what it’s replacing.

Note where the light bulb is. In the back, and on one side. Which meant half the stove top would be in shadow. ๐Ÿ˜€

That mass of wires is just… something else. It’s also impossible to clean. At best, we could take off the filter and clean that. The fan wasn’t working any more, though it did sometimes still run. This meant that steam would accumulate underneath, and we would have to dab with paper towel to prevent… fluid… from dripping onto the stove – and whatever was cooking at the time.

I discovered that when I dabbed against the bundle of wires, the light would go on and off.

The range hood was held in place with a couple of screws.

Two different screws, requiring two different types of screwdriver.

We have a lot of that around here.

Also, we discovered that the breaker for the range hood is the same one for the ceiling lights in the new addition, and the wall plugs in the dining room. It took a while for us to find the right one!

This is what was behind it. (Again, I apologize…)

First, my daughter had to remove the insert at the back.

This was not held in place with screws.

It was held in place with two nails. This one she was able to remove easily enough. The other one…

… the nail was flush with the wall, and she had to manhandle it out by twisting the insert frame.

This is what the opening to outside, with its own insert and flap, looked like.

Now, I do believe this is the original range hood, which means this is accumulated since about the mid 1970’s. So, I supposed this is pretty good for more than 40 years.

I just need to keep telling myself that…

It took a great deal of scrubbing to clean that out. Of the various things we used, plain ordinary dish soap was the most productive.

Believe it or not, this is clean.

Or, as clean as we could get it. At least it’s no longer coated in a layer or grease and dead bugs.

The new range hood insert fit so snug, there was no need to try and screw it in place.

After this, the new hood could be screwed into place, after removing a section of wires that were Frankensteined together.

Hooking it up should have been quick and easy.

These are the original wires.

The exposed one should be the ground.

These wires had been cobbled together with another section of wire, which in turn was cobbled together with the wires for the old range hood.

I think we have a reason for that, but I’m not sure.

The original wires are copper.

The new wires are not.

Which is how it was with the old range hood.

So… we think that extra section of wire was the workaround for that?

My older brother is, I believe, the person who wired it originally, so before we finish hooking it up, we want to check with him before we do anything more.

Which means we’re leaving the breaker off for now.

Which means we have no ceiling lights, and no dining room outlets.

The outlets in the kitchen are on another breaker, and there is another small light mounted near the window, so we can at least have some light there, and the fish tank still has power.

I’m hoping my brother gets back to us soon!

The Re-Farmer

7 thoughts on “New Range Hood – part 1

    • Hmm… it could be, though there is nothing I can see that tells me one way or the other – and nothing in the specs. :-/

      I’d be a lot more confident in hooking it up if I knew more about why that extra section of wires was included. It has green, blue and brown wires. The brown wires are confusing me the most, since the wires from the wall include both a brown and a black!

      We just picked up some anti-oxidant cream, new merits (I’m sure we have lots in the basement. I’m also sure they’re full of dirt and dead spiders. *L*). And a volt meter, since I haven’t seen our old one since the move! ๐Ÿ˜€

      Like

  1. What extra wires?

    It sounds like the extra wires are EU color code….green or green-yellow is safety grounding wire, blue is neutral and brown is hot.

    The three wires coming from the wall…I’m wondering if the brown is really a “dirty white”.

    Liked by 1 person

    • There was an extra piece, joining the house wires at one end, and the old range hood wires at the other. Blue, brown and green. The old range hood had a nest of wires, including red and yellow. You can see part of the mess of wires in the photo of the old range hood near the top of my post.

      I’ve heard back from my brother. He doesn’t know when this was done, either. I’m glad we waited, because he thinks it’s possible the house wires may be reversed, somewhere in the walls.

      Some very strange things were done in this house over the decades!!

      Like

  2. Yikes on the wire reversal. With the voltmeter, it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out if black is really hot.

    The mess of wires in the first picture….I see red and some other color wires coming from switches. I’m wondering if the standard black, white, bare are the connections to the house and the other stuff is the internal wiring of the range hood….switched power for the fan and light….

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s