Hanging rig, finished

So… I’m a suck. Especially when it comes to the cats.

But if you have been following this blog for a while, you knew that already. πŸ˜‰

While our basement maternity ward is certainly warmer than outside, when I checked on the mamas and babies earlier today, I noticed that the babies felt a bit chilly.

Therefore, on the principle of “put on a sweater, Mom is cold”, I decided to borrow and set up the upstairs heater at the end of the basement where the newborns are. Then, I had to stay in the basement, since it’s not supposed to be left on unattended.

Which gave me the opportunity to finish the hanging rig I’d whipped together when making cheese.

I had already done some basic sanding, as well as a bit of damage repair, a couple of days ago. Having picked up some more sandpaper yesterday, I could now finish the job.

The piece with the crack I’d glued was rough enough that I actually used a rasp we found while cleaning the basement, to get the roughest parts a bit smoother. I then spent the next couple of hours working my way through sandpaper grades until all the pieces were silky smooth.

The basement got nice and warm while I was doing that. The mamas and kitties seemed to be quite content with this. πŸ™‚

Then, because I had some, I rubbed the wood with mineral oil.

If I hadn’t had any, I would have eventually picked up some type of varnish, or maybe paint, to finish it with later.

In my rush to make the rig, I’d drilled a pilot hole in the cross piece a bit off. I was going to drill a new hole, lined up with the other side, but when I measured it, the new hole would have been just too close to the existing one. So I left it. I’ll just have one leg a bit off from the other.

The final step was to reassemble it, using wood glue at the ends of the side pieces to stabilize it.

Here are the before and after pictures.

It really doesn’t look a lot different, but trust me. It is! No possibility of getting splinters anymore, for starters. πŸ˜€ I’m glad I happened to have the mineral oil to treat the wood. Once the glue has cured, it will be nice and solid, too.

We’re now all set for any future preserving we do that requires hanging a bag to drain. Plus, if we had to, we could even add a couple more cup hooks to hang up to three jelly bags or something, if needed.

I’m rather pleased with how it turned out.

It doesn’t take much to make me happy. πŸ™‚

The Re-Farmer

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s