While my husband and I ended up being away for far longer than expected, our daughters did some baking. Along with the now regular baking of 4 loaves of sourdough bread, they made sourdough banana bread muffins with chocolate chips, modifying a recipe they found for banana bread online.
It was a marvelous treat to come home to!
Sourdough Banana Bread, with muffin variation
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 brown bananas
1 cup starter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup nuts, chips, etc.
- preheat oven to 350F
- cream butter and sugar
- add banana, egg, vanilla. Beat like hell.
- slowly mix in starter.
- mix in flour, soda and salt
- stir in your choice of nuts, chocolate chips, etc.
- pour into greased loaf pan
- bake for 60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
For muffin variation, add paper liners to 20 muffin cups. Fill 3/4s full with batter and bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.