Here is a really easy recipe for a healthy snack to satisfy those cravings for something crunchy!
Roasted, Seasoned Chickpeas
- canned chick peas
- olive oil
- seasonings to taste
I have found that a 9×13 baking tray fits 2 cans of chickpeas in a single layer very well.
- Turn oven to 400F.
- Drain the chickpeas into a colander and rinse well. Spread the wet chickpeas onto a baking tray and let the water dry off for a while.
- Put the dried chickpeas into a bowl large enough to toss them. Add olive oil and seasonings. (In our last batch, we used Scarborough Fair Garlic Salt and freshly ground pepper. You can use ordinary course salt and pepper, if you wish. It would be great with Rosemary Lemon Salt as well, or if you want to stay away from salt, use your favourite Mrs. Dash mix. )
- Toss the chick peas until well coated with olive oil and seasonings.
- Return the chick peas to the baking tray and spread into a single layer. Place on centre rack in pre-heated oven.
- Roast for about 20 minutes. Take the pan out and give it a shake to turn the chick peas. Return to oven and continue roasting to desired crunchiness, giving the pan another shake every now and then. (We like them extra crisp. With our oven, that takes more than an hour of roasting time. Our oven also has some cold spots, so when we give the chick peas a shake, we also turn the pan, to ensure even roasting. )
- When done, remove the pan and allow the chick peas to cool.
- Once cool, store in an air tight container.
These make a really excellent and healthy snack, and are downright addictive!