This evening, I decided to be methodical about clearing the west yard trees, and get right into the fence line.
It was a lot more work than I expected!
This is what it looked like when I left it last time.
I didn’t get photos from this angle today, but if you look behind the dead trees I cut down, that’s the area I focused on.
I had not really intended to start on the fence line on this side yet, but the mess was starting to get to me.
I am using the row of elm trees as my guide line for clearing the fence. Anything between where those trees are and the fence line will be taken out. This will leave a walkable path to access the fence.
I started at the gate post and made a discovery.
There’s two of them.
From what I can figure out, as the older gate post started to become unstable, a second post as added, and new and old were tied together with a loop of barbed wire.
It was most likely a temporary fix that ended up a permanent one.
The problem is…
Both posts are rotten and broken at the bottom.
The hedge that had grown into the fence was pretty much the only thing holding it up.
I don’t really want to replace this fence. I’d rather take it out completely. I am wanting to install new fencing that will include both driveways, instead. So for now, this old fence will remain for as long as it holds up.
As I worked down the line, I also discovered that there’s not just two gate posts, but two fences! Somewhere along the way, the old barbed wire fence got a mesh wire fence added with it. Then other cable type wire was also added, along the bottom. You can see part of it at the bottom of one of the gate posts, above.
This made clearing away the lilacs more challenging, because it was woven through both the barbed and mesh wire. For many of them, I had to cut them at least twice, so I could get the pieces out of the fence.
A surprising amount of the lilac was already dead. Most of the living lilac is on the other side of the fence. Which I will leave for now. It’s keeping the fence from falling over.
In the end, it took me almost two hours to clear barely 8 feet of fence line!
I’m also clearing in between and around the lilac and caragana that is in line with the row of elm trees. That included taking down a dead lilac that was a thick as a tree!
I’m going to have to change up when I work in the yard. We’re getting heat wave weather warnings for the next week. I like to do the work in the afternoon or evening, but the hottest part of the day tends to be around 5pm. It’s almost 9pm as I write this, and we’re still at 25C, with a “feels like 29C”. I’m going to have to start working on this stuff in the morning, instead, when it’s cooler, because by afternoon, it’s supposed to reach 29C, and feel like 34C, but be only 18C in the morning.
I am not a morning person. 😀
Well, if I’m driving my daughter to her shifts that start at 8 or 9am anyway, it will work out for me to do yard work when I get back in the morning, instead of after I pick her up at 4 or 5pm.
She has a road test booked in September. She’ll be able to drive herself to work, if we don’t need the van for something else.
It is becoming increasingly clear we are going to need a second vehicle for the girls. That and our utter dependency on having a vehicle makes me extra paranoid about having only one. It’s not like there are any buses we could use instead, or anything is close enough to walk to! We went about a month not driving our van until we had the money to replace the fuel pump, to avoid causing more damage (which our mechanic really appreciated), and that was enough for us!
At least we’ve finally reached a point where we are caught up. As of this month, we have no expenses left related to our move. Yay! It only took us 9 months. Starting next month, we can start diverting money to a contingency fund to pay for things like getting the trees cleared from the power lines and roof in the fall, or towards getting a second bathroom installed. Or unexpected emergencies, like the van breaking down!
The problem is, there are SO many things that need work around the house and yard, it will be hard to prioritize. We had hoped to get the second bathroom installed this summer. It’s high on the priority list, but clearing the trees became the higher priority since… well… we’d really like to NOT have our roof damaged or have branches knock out our power lines.
Little by little, it’ll get done.