Using a set of instructions we found, the must is to be stirred basically once every 12 hours, for the first 48 hours.
This is what the must looked like after the first 12 or so, and before I started stirring.
I have no idea if this is what it’s supposed to look like at this point. Of the various instructions and recipes I found that included pictures, I never saw one that included pictures at this stage.
I expected more of a yeasty smell, but there is barely any smell at all at this point.
After about a minute of stirring (the instructions said stir for 2 minutes, but I didn’t want to have the bucket open for that long), I popped the lid back on top. Then I made sure to write on a sticky note that the first stir is complete and left that on the lid, so no one else would accidentally pop it open and stir it again.
I’m really looking forward to seeing how this works!