I am so happy I was able to get back to working on this today!
It is now basically finished for this year!
Here is where I started today.
I loosened the soil and leveled off the space where we could fit 1 more of the chimney blocks. In the process, I realized that I could completely miss the bunch of chives. However, I wanted to add a block to form a corner, so I decided to dig some out for transplanting, first.
After discussing what we wanted to put in these in the future, we decided to transplant just some of the chives into two blocks, just inside the corner. The bottoms were stuffed with mulch, then topped with peat, before transplanting. More peat was added, later.
I then went to work on the opposite corner, which had a bit of a problem.
That metal fence post is every so slightly in the way.
The ground here also started to slop upwards towards the house on this side, so I had to level the area by taking soil away from the area. On the other side, I had to level the soil by adding to it!
As for placing the block, I found I could push the metal post aside, just enough for it to line up right.
After everything we jammed in and settled into place, the post ended up being very close to straight, still. So I was happy.
On to the next step!
I raked the mulch I had moved aside, right up against the blocks, then used some of it to jam into the openings until they were filled to about an inch or two from the tops.
Next, I put a layer of peat on top of the mulch.
As I worked my way down the line, I added more mulch to some of them before adding the peat, just to make sure there was a deep, tamped down layer.
I then gave all of them a thorough watering, to give the decomposition process a bit of a head start – and wash off the tops of the blocks a bit.
As it breaks down, I expect the mulch and peat to sink by an inch or two. That will give us the space to add soil as we plant things in them.
As for the small openings, my daughter and I talked about filling them with sand or gravel. I don’t mind the idea of filling them with soil and planting things in them, though they are really too small for that. Even just leaving them empty will serve as a layer of insulation to protect the soil in the middle. However, if we were to put sand in them, it would keep unwelcome things from starting to grow in there, plus give a nice base to add garden stakes, supports, or even solar lights for lighting up pathways.
Since we’re stuck with those metal posts anyhow, I like the idea of using them to string decorative LED lights across, too. 🙂
I’m pretty happy with how this area is starting to shape up.
For those new to this blog, here is what the area was like, when I started cleaning it up last year.
We’ve made a lot of progress here! 🙂