I am happy to say that I have finally finished my first attempt at carving!
My trip into town was successful, in that I found a teeny tiny tip for my Dremel.
Saffron made sure to check it out, too!
I discovered something when I went to put it on my Dremel, though.
It didn’t fit.
The shaft is too small. By maybe a millimeter!
Well, it’s an engraving tip, and I have an engraving tool, so I got that out.
That one was even worse!
What to do? I wasn’t going to take it back. Not only did I have to destroy the packaging just to open it, it was the ONLY tip they had that was small enough for what I needed.
Painters tape to the rescue!
I got it on, and it was secure. Perfect!
After making a few practice passes on the piece of lilac I’d practiced the carving knives on, I started using it on the morel.
This is how it looked, immediately after I finished (and you can see the tape that allowed the tip to fit). I was really happy with this tip. It was exactly what I needed for the job. If anything, I would have gone even smaller, if I could!
While certainly better than the carving knives, it was still rather messy. Sanding it did take care of some of that.
I have sandpaper only up to 220 grit, which is adequate for the job. No way to get into the holes, though, which is okay. I wasn’t done with it.
The next step was to break out the wood burning kit. The kit has a very fine pointed tip that I used to burn inside each hole in the morel. This allowed me to also burn away any ragged bits.
Once the insides of the holes were done, I could use the side of the tool to burn the flat surfaces.
Here is how it looked, once done.
The only thing to do after this is to oil it!
Two Face decided to “help”. 😀
Here is the completed spoon.
For the mushroom, I basically poured the mineral oil over it, to get into all the crevices, then used a paper towel to apply oil to the rest. At this point, I will let it sit for a day or two, then see if it needs more oil. I’ve seen sites that recommend putting small things like spoons into a slide-lock bag with oil, making sure the air is all squeezed out, and the item is in contact with oil all over, then leaving it for several days. I might try that with future projects, but I think just a light coating of oil is adequate for this one.
I am really happy with how this turned out!
I feel much more encouraged about tackling some of the wood I’ve salvaged lately. 🙂 I think my next projects, though, will be spreaders.
No bowls to hollow out! 😀