Some manual labour, and getting things started

After dropping one daughter off at work, my other daughter and I did a whole bunch of manual labour around the yard.

The first thing we did was haul away the stuff I’d clean up in the old wood pile area, including moving the pile of debris to the back of the outhouse, and sorting through the pile of found objects and garbage.

In the process, we talked about where we wanted to move the old doghouse, and what we wanted to place it on. With all the stuff we’re dealing with now, the last thing we want to do it put it directly on the ground, nor do we want to put it on wood. We discussed using bricks, but that would leave a gap under it, and we do want it to be as sheltered and insulated as possible.

Why not put it directly on insulation? We’re planning to buy sheets of foam insulation, anyhow, and it won’t rot or rust like some of the other stuff we were looking at.

So that is decided. The doghouse is going to be moved under a particular tree, where it will be sheltered, yet easily accessible, and it will be placed directly on pieces of foam insulation cut to fit under it.

It’s going to be a while before we get the insulation, though, and I do still have clean up to do.

So for now, we simply shifted it off the pallet it was sitting on.

Check this out.

This is the pallet under the pallet. 😀

See all those red arrows in the picture?

They are all pointing to nails, all but 2 of which are exposed, as the wood they were holding in place has completely rotted away!

At least it’s the heads of nails, and not the sharp ends.

There is actually one nail “missing” in the picture. I touched it, and the wood it was in broke off and fell. you can see the gap in the wood (and the arrows) where it was.

Getting all this out is going to be interesting.

On a more fun note, we did this.

We still plan to find another location for the table, but for now, I’ve moved the chair frame over, and made a display with some of the things we found.

Including a chewed up golf ball.

I’ve also figured out what to do with the chair frame, and I’m really excited about it. 😀

Then we went over by the barn to get…

…two toilets, one with its tank still attached, that will be turned into planters. They were overgrown with nettles.

We also found a hanging shower caddy, and my daughter has plans for that!

In the process of digging those out, we uncovered what turned out to be the parts and pieces of a charcoal grill.

And a car battery, which I moved into the barn.

Once those two toilets were moved, we went and got another toilet I found by the storage shed.

There is still one more toilet, which is buried in the junk pile, so we won’t be able to get at it until my brother can come out with his trailer and we can haul it away. Eventually, these will be cleaned up, scrubbed out, the broken off pieces glued back, decorated with tile mosaics, put in display locations and turned into planters.

I don’t know what to do with the barrels. They are too rotted.

The next manual labour job was to start moving the chimney blocks to the end of the old kitchen garden, where they will become a retaining wall.

Of course, we found things there, too.

The stacks of blocks were basically used for garbage. The bottom blocks had things like broken glass jars, plastic bits, pieces of pipe (metal and PVC), broken pieces of bricks, an old beer can and…

… the best treasure of all. An old aftershave bottle.

Because… of course.

My daughter is keeping that.

The kittens were really excited with what we were doing, and determined to get underfoot.

Or anywhere else they could fit.

I had been wondering what these ceramic tubes were. It turns out they are the inner part of the chimney. If the chimney for the old wood furnace had been replaced, as intended, these would have run up the length of the chimney, inside the chimney blocks we will now be using for other things.

It took a total of 16 blocks to reach from end to end. Depending on how tightly I line them up, I might add one more. More likely, I’ll adjust the blocks to one side, instead. The block at the far end it placed to go past the current border of the garden, so that as I add more blocks up the sides, I won’t have to transplant things that are already growing there. That is not as much of a concern on the nearer side. When I prep the ground for their permanent locations, I have no problem with adjusting them all to match that one corner.

We can’t pull those metal fence posts out, no matter how much we’ve tried. So we’re going to use them. Each will have a block lifted over them, so that the post runs through one of the narrow openings around the central opening. More blocks will go up the sides of the garden, but probably only 2 on each side. The slope is very gradual and I only really need to build the soil up a few inches at the end.

There are chives growing at the bottom of the post on the right in the photo. I plan to dig those out, place the block, then transplant the chives into it.

All of the blocks will have things planted in them, eventually.

After moving these 16 blocks, that leaves about 10 blocks still stacked by the old garden shed, plus there are a few more in the old part basement. Which means there should be quite a few left over, after this retaining wall is built.

I’m sure we can come up with something to do with them. 😀

The Re-Farmer

4 thoughts on “Some manual labour, and getting things started

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s