Though we had a trip into town for another medical appointment and some errands (since we were there, anyhow!) in the late morning, I decided I needed to finish clearing the fence line in the spruce grove today. My siblings and I are working things out in regards to checking on our mother over the next few days, and tomorrow is my turn. The long range forecasts say it’s going to get colder again, so today was the day, ready or not!
I am happy to say, it is now DONE! I have cleared the fence line along the spruce grove, up to the driveway gate. Anything else I am able to do before winter is bonus. Woohoo!
I took a whole bunch of before and after photos, so I’ll just set up a slide show and let them speak for themselves!
The following photos were taken from the gate side of the fence, facing north. I started inside the grove, where I left off, but realized I needed to start a new pile for cuttings. The place to do that was on the south side. Which required clearing a section of fence so I could toss things over, then working my way north to where I left off last time.
Here is what it looks like from inside the spruce grove, where I left off last time.
I managed to save one tiny little spruce tree. 😀 It was in the way, to be honest, but after cutting away so many spruces that were in the fence line itself, I wanted to keep at least this one! It’s small enough that I could potentially transplant it, in the future.
As you can see in the after photos, I did break out the weed trimmer. I did the edges of the driveway, first, and even cut away some of the smaller trees on the south side of the driveway, for a bit of visibility. Next, I followed along the fence line where I worked, as this area had actual tall grass, rather than just undergrowth.
To be honest, though, one of the main reasons I did that was because I got tired of tripping over stumps I’d just cut, but couldn’t see due to the grass! I will have to see if we have some really bright spray paint, and mark some of them, for safety.
I also tidied up the two strings of Christmas lights, as well as re-attaching the top wire of the fence onto one of the fence posts, where the original U nail was simply, gone. I used the third string of lights I’d removed previously to replace burnt out and broken bulbs, and switch them all to clear bulbs. I still intend to replace them with LEDs, but just in case I can’t get to it this year, it is all fixed up for now.
I also discovered that the light strings had plastic clips on them. While on one of them, the clips were mostly broken off, I don’t know why they weren’t used to clip them to the wire, rather than wrapping them around tree branches. I also brought out the zip ties for those areas where the clips were broken, and to secure the main power cable, including all along the fence to the garage.
I discovered that more of the fence posts on the south side need replacing than I originally thought. I leaned on one while reaching to clear a tree at its base, and it broke at ground level!
There were some interesting finds.
Earlier in the year, I discovered there was asparagus growing at the fence line! I highly doubt this was planted deliberately, and yet, how else did it get there?
There isn’t a lot, but they have their berries now!
I didn’t know they got berries. Turns out the female plants do. Interesting!
Also, do you see that rock?
Once I started clearing around it, I realized it’s two rocks.
I’m. At a loss. It seems to random, and strange, to find two rocks cemented together like this.
There has got to be a story behind this! 😀
When all was done, I had a large new pile we’ll need to haul away.
At least this time, the pile is in an area that’s easier to get to!
After cleaning up and putting everything away, I came back to address a concern.
It’s a temporary fix. I cut out a section of one of my husband’s empty distilled water jugs (he uses distilled water for his CPAP humidifier, so we have lots!) and popped it on the post.
Why, you may ask?
This is why.
Once the trees were cleared, what little shelter there was for the outlet was gone. I don’t know how many years it’s been outside, facing down to make sure no moisture got in. It seemed so very exposed!
So this should keep the precipitation off, until I can come up with something better. Which will likely not happen until I can work on repairing the fences, so it might be a while!
While I was working on all of this, the girls were working in the West yard.
They had already done part of the yard and put the leaves on the little garden by the Old Kitchen. This is just some of the piles they rakes up today – there’s more by the fire pit!
I had commandeered the wheel barrows, so they will move the piles onto the garden tomorrow, while I am out.
They also made supper. The smell of which is making me very hungry right now!
It’s been a very productive day today! I’m so glad to finally get that fence line done.
Another thing off the list! 😀